Walkenhorst Family

Walkenhorst Family

Monday, October 7, 2013

My Tomboys

Child #4

My youngest told me a few days ago that she wished she were a boy. I asked her why. Her response:

Child: "So I could be an awesome dad like you someday."

[Dad's heart instantly melts]

Dad (a little haltingly, trying to catch up without a solid heart): "Thank you!! That's really sweet of you honey. But you know, you can grow up to be an awesome mom instead."

Child: "Yeah, I'll grow up to be like mommy. Girls pretty much rock."

Dad (smiling): "Yeah, they pretty much do."

This coming from one of the more girly girls I know. I think that exchange occurred shortly after she had helped me change the oil in one of our cars. Maybe I should have her help me work on cars more often.

Child #2

My other girl, child #2, has told me a couple times in recent weeks that she's always been a tom boy. This from one of the other girly-est girls I've ever known. The first time she told me, her mom was there and tried to argue with her. I told her to leave it alone. My girl's pretty stubborn and if she wants to be a tomboy, pretend she's a tomboy, or whatever, we should let her define herself. But it does make me smile when I hear it because she's definitely NOT a tomboy in my mind.

A picture of what appears to be a quintessential tomboy. Borrowed from here under the Fair Use Clause. Thanks Emma.

She told me yesterday she thought she was 1/4 tomboy. I thought that was so adorable, I had to argue with her. I told her she was selling herself short. I thought she was closer to 1/3. :) I'm not sure if she knew I was kidding or not.

I look forward to watching her define herself as she grows older. Whatever she chooses to be, I think she'll be wonderful at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment